Sunday 22 January 2012

On these experiments, I experimented in Photoshop with using different types of black and white filters to vary the shadows and highlights in each area, I also experimented with using sepia tone.
1. I used a 'blue filter', which overall lightened the tones in the photography, which I don't like, as this photo is supposed to have a dark, negative mood and I feel as if dark tones would connote this mood well. I especially do not like how it has lightened the sky to an abnormally bright white.
2. This was created by using a 'high contrast red filter', which added almost a airbrushed look to this photo, due to it smoothing and lightening out the texture, which creates an almost fuzzy texture, which in my opinion 'beautifies' this photo. However, this is exactly the opposite of what I wanted to achieve, as I wanted this image to be raw in the style of Corrine Day, and I feel like this tonal setting makes the photo look more like a set-up, 'false' shot.
3. I experimented with a sepia tone to see what the image looked like given a look of age. I feel like a more subtle version of this would help achieve the brassiness and dirty tones that Day's photos have, although I may have to think about darkening the tones, as it has lessened the contrast, and thus the striking nature of this photo. I shall also later on experiment with applying a sepia tone manually (tea-staining), and compare both results to see which I feel is more successful.
4. I feel as if this is the most successful out of my black and white experiments, as it has enhances the contrast between the dark and light tones, creating a more striking image. I particually like the way it has darkened the tones underneath the area, so they seem more like black sockets, which, to me, connotes the misery which is being expressed there. I feel this also connotes well to the expression 'eyes are the window to the soul', which draws me further into using this effect. It has also darkened the sky so that it becomes more fluid within the image, instead of blaring out, such as in experiment 1. To create this experiment, I used the 'infrared' filter.

page 1
blue filter
high contrast red filter
sepia hardlight 35%
infrared

diffuse glow
In this experiment I again used Photoshop, however applied a subtle filter called 'diffuse glow' which gave the image a softer, creamier texture. I rather like this photo, as I feel the softened effect has created a blurry, dream-like quality to the image, which looks almost angelic. This creates a contrast with the raw dark tones and shadows which I feel makes the interest more interesting. I does, however, remove some of the impact, and also my researched artists all use clear, crisp images so it doesn't work very well as a response to them.
copied image lighten 100%

page 2
burnt paper texture soft light 81%
In this random experiment, I copied the image twice, placing them next to the original to create 'ghosts'. Due to the replicated image of the fine and light texture of the hair, I feel like this could be used as a response to Nick Knight's work, however darker tones would be needed to add definition and more of an emphasis on clothes would need to be included. It has a strong feminine feeling to it, which I like. I blended the image by changing the blending layer to 'soft light' and the opacity to 81% to contrast the opaque look of the original with the translucent copies.

I noticed from my contact sheet that these photos followed a 'time-line' and I wanted to highlight the progression in time by placing them next to each other in a set of three. I like the way this experiment turned out, as I feel it tells a story and a sense of time, almost looking like an image of a filmstrip. A further experiment could be done to highlight this by perhaps adding a sepia tone and a filmstrip boarder, although this wouldn't connote to my artists, however it would be interesting to see what the effects were.

In this experimented I used a texture layered over a photo which I originally thought has too bland for use. The texture I used was of burnt paper, however when applied it created a look that was similar to a bruised back, which I like as it created a feeling of damage and misuse which is common in Day's 'Diary' works, and also the brown-ish, dirty tone is similar. This image could be said to be controversial, as in the look of being beaten isn't a nice nor pleasing sight to look at, but I feel it works in this image's favor, transforming a dull photo into one with impact.

texture scratched background colour dodge 84%
In Photoshop, I applied a layer which has scratched white areas, and used the blending mode of 'colour doge' to fade out the coloured background and reduced the opacity to 84%. I feel this experiment has worked well in giving it a harsher mood, and I particually like the way the scratches are centered around the model, so it looks like the turmoil and angry emotions caused by the scratches are surrounding her, and that she is curling up to protect herself from them, therefore creating a story in this image.

handmade coffee stained
I experimented with creating the sepia tone I created in Photoshop in an earlier experiment, however manually, by using coffee to stain. I do not like this experiment at all, as the stain has muted the colours and made it lack contrast, therefore making this image bland and muddy looking. The stain has also not taken evenly, so looks cheap and dirty. It could possibly be improved by instead of using coffee, soaking it in tea, however I much prefer the digital form of creating a sepia image. I will defiantly not be using this effect in my final piece.

handcrumpled and torn
I added physical texture to this photo by crumpling and tearing it by hand, which I found was another way of adding a abused and threatening mood to this photo due to the savage crumpling and tearing creating a veiny texture to the surface, which contrasts effectively due to the theme of protection and fragility created by the model's foetal pose; making a contrast of abuse and protection. I feel as if this experiment could be improved by crumpling the image up around the model, and leaving her unaffected as this would leave her form undisturbed and easier viewed.

burnt/cigerette burnt handmade
I feel this experiment would work better if I used a lighter photo, so you could see better the brown scorch marks where I hand burnt this image by using a lighter. I am considering using the cigarette burn effect in my final piece, as it both adds a rough, uneven and fragile texture to the photo, and combines it with the feeling of damage and misuse or pain, which connotes well to the image the photo is of; the image is a raw, 'ugly' image and the idea of cigarettes matches this. I manipulates the shape of the photo by burning the corners off which furthered this feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment